Table Of Contents
San Diego Mosque Shooting Leaves Three Dead In Hate Attack


A father of eight stood at the front of his mosque on Monday morning and refused to step aside.
He paid for that choice with his life.
By the time the gunfire stopped outside the Islamic Center of San Diego, three men were dead, a landscaper had been shot at blocks away, and two teenagers were slumped inside a BMW with self-inflicted gunshot wounds.
The date was May 18, 2026.
The first day of Dhul Hijjah is one of the holiest months in Islam.
Police are now investigating the attack as a hate crime, and the names of the two suspects, Cain Clark, 17, and Caleb Vazquez, 18, are being spoken about across the country.
This is what happened, who was involved, and why this tragedy hit harder than most.
The Attack On The Islamic Center Of San Diego
The Islamic Center of San Diego, often shortened to ICSD, sits on Eckstrom Avenue in the Clairemont Mesa East neighborhood.
It is about eight miles north of downtown San Diego.
ICSD is the largest mosque in San Diego County and also houses Bright Horizon Academy, a school for Muslim children.
At around 11:43 a.m. local time, San Diego police received frantic 911 calls about an active shooter at the mosque.
Officers arrived at a scene that Police Chief Scott Wahl later called every community’s worst nightmare.
Three adult men were found dead outside the building.
Inside, teachers and students were rushed to safety by mosque staff.
No children were physically harmed.
While police were searching the mosque for a suspect, gunfire was reported a few blocks away.
A landscaper had been shot at from a passing car.
He was bleeding from the head but alive.
Police later said the bullet appears to have struck his work helmet, which likely saved his life.
Soon after, officers found a BMW stopped in the middle of the street.
The two teenage suspects were inside, dead from self-inflicted gunshot wounds.
By 1:07 p.m., police confirmed the threat had been neutralized.
No officers fired a single shot during the entire incident.
Who Were Cain Clark And Caleb Vazquez
Senior law enforcement officials have identified the two suspects as Cain Clark, 17, and Caleb Vazquez, 18.
Both lived in San Diego.
Cain Clark was a senior at James Madison High School, attending classes virtually.
He was set to graduate later this month.
Local reports describe him as a standout wrestler on the school’s wrestling team.
His grandfather, David Clark, 78, told reporters the family was in shock.
He said they were as confused as everyone else and offered his condolences to the victims’ families.
Caleb Vazquez, 18, was identified as Cain Clark’s companion during the attack.
Less is publicly known about him at this stage.
Investigators say both teenagers were found together in the same vehicle, dressed in matching camouflage clothing.
Early reports listed Vazquez as 19, but police later corrected his age to 18.
The Two Hours That Could Have Changed Everything
This is the part of the story that has shaken San Diego the most.
At 9:42 a.m., almost two hours before the attack, Cain Clark’s mother called 911.
She reported her son as a missing and suicidal teenager.
She also told police that her car and several of her firearms were missing from the home.
She said her son was likely with a friend, and both were last seen wearing camo.
San Diego police officers were actively searching for the two teenagers when the call about the mosque came in.
According to Police Chief Scott Wahl, officers were still speaking with the mother just a few blocks from the Islamic Center when the gunfire started.
The same officers who were looking for Cain Clark immediately rushed to the mosque.
The mother also later discovered a note her son had left behind.
Police have not disclosed what it says.
It is a timeline now being carefully studied by investigators and will likely shape policy conversations for months to come.
A Quick Timeline Of Events
| Time | Event |
|---|---|
| 9:42 a.m. | Cain Clark’s mother calls 911 to report her son missing with her weapons and car |
| 11:43 a.m. | An active shooter was reported at the Islamic Center of San Diego |
| 11:48 a.m. | Drive-by shooting reported nearby; landscaper shot at, helmet deflects bullet |
| 12:43 p.m. | Police confirm the scene is active but contained |
| 1:07 p.m. | Threat neutralized; both suspects found dead in a parked BMW |
The Security Guard Who Saved Lives
One of the three men killed was a security guard at the mosque.
Police Chief Scott Wahl described his actions as undoubtedly heroic.
The guard was stationed near the front of the building when the suspects opened fire.
Officials are still working to confirm exactly how he responded, but they believe his presence at the front of the mosque slowed the attackers and helped prevent a much larger tragedy.
A friend named Sam Hamideh shared more about the man with reporters.
The security guard was a father of eight.
He deeply cared about his community and gave his life trying to protect the people inside the mosque.
The names of all three victims have not yet been released publicly.
Families are still being notified.
What is known is that all three were adult men, and two of them were mosque staff members.
Their identities will be shared in the coming days, once families are ready.
Why Police Are Calling It A Hate Crime
San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl was clear in his press conferences.
This shooting is being investigated as a hate crime.
Investigators found anti-Islamic writings inside the BMW where the two suspects died.
One of the firearms used in the attack reportedly had the words hate speech scrawled across it.
One of the suspects also left behind a suicide note.
According to law enforcement officials, the note contained writings about racial pride.
Chief Wahl told reporters there was definitely hate rhetoric involved, although no specific threat had been made against the Islamic Center beforehand.
He added a phrase that has since been widely quoted.
We are considering this a hate crime until it is not.
The FBI is now assisting the San Diego Police Department with the investigation.
A Broader Pattern Of Attacks On American Mosques
This tragedy did not happen in a vacuum.
Attacks and threats against American mosques have been climbing steadily for years.
The Council on American Islamic Relations has reported record numbers of anti-Muslim incidents in the United States since late 2023.
The trend includes threatening phone calls, vandalism, arson attempts, and in rare but devastating cases, deadly shootings.
What makes the San Diego attack stand out is the age of the suspects.
Both were teenagers.
Both reportedly attacked with weapons taken from a parent’s home.
Researchers who study extremism have warned for years about young men being radicalized online through forums, gaming chats, and fringe social platforms.
The San Diego shooting fits a pattern that experts have been raising alarms about, and it now adds urgency to those conversations.
It also raises hard questions about how families, schools, and online platforms identify warning signs before they turn into violence.
How Leaders And The Community Responded
The attack drew strong reactions from local, state, and national leaders.
San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria spoke at a press conference and offered his support to the Muslim community.
He said hate has no home in San Diego, and Islamophobia has no home in the city.
He also promised additional protections for houses of worship across San Diego.
The mayor expressed gratitude to the security officer who likely saved many lives.
He acknowledged the city did not meet its mark on Monday and pledged to do better.
California Governor Gavin Newsom was briefed on the situation.
He said worshippers anywhere should never have to fear for their lives and made it clear that California will not tolerate acts of terror against communities of faith.
President Donald Trump was also briefed on the situation.
The New York Police Department announced it would deploy additional officers to mosques across New York City as a precaution.
Taha Hassane, the imam of the Islamic Center of San Diego, told reporters it was outrageous that anyone would target a place of worship.
He reminded everyone that the mosque is open to Muslims and non-Muslims alike, as a space for prayer, learning, and gathering.
The Islamic Center of San Diego has announced it will remain closed until further notice.
Why The Timing Cuts So Deep
There is one detail that adds another layer of grief to this story.
Monday, May 18, marked the first day of Dhul Hijjah.
This is the final month of the Islamic calendar and one of the holiest periods for Muslims worldwide.
It includes the Hajj pilgrimage to Mecca and the celebration of Eid al-Adha.
For practicing Muslims, this is a time of deep faith, reflection, and unity with the global community.
For an attack like this to happen on the first day of such a sacred month is something many in the community are still struggling to process.
Mayor Todd Gloria mentioned the timing in his statement, saying his heart was with every person touched by the tragedy on what should have been a day of peace.
A Lesser-Known Piece Of History
The Islamic Center of San Diego has been targeted before.
On January 11, 1991, during the Gulf War, the mosque was the target of an attempted bombing.
That period brought a wave of hateful phone calls and threats to the center, fueled by tensions around the war in Iraq and Kuwait.
The mosque first opened its doors in 1989 and has served as a key community space for nearly four decades.
Monday’s shooting is now the deadliest attack in its history.
For older members of the congregation, the events of this week echo a fear they thought belonged to the past.
What Happens Next
The investigation is still in its early stages.
San Diego police are serving search warrants at multiple locations connected to both suspects.
Investigators want to dig into the online activity, friendships, and possible influences that shaped Cain Clark and Caleb Vazquez in the months and weeks before the attack.
Several big questions remain unanswered.
How did two teenagers gain access to firearms so easily?
Why did they choose this particular mosque?
Could the warning signs from Cain Clark’s mother have led to a different outcome if the timeline had moved faster?
Across the country, Muslim community leaders are calling for stronger protections at mosques, schools, and community centers.
In San Diego, vigils are being planned to honor the three men who were killed.
The names of the victims are expected to be released in the coming days, once families are ready.
A Final Word From Us
A father of eight died at his post.
Two staff members died doing the work they had shown up to do.
A landscaper survived because of a helmet.
These are not just facts in a news story.
They are the lives that were touched, ended, or forever changed in a single morning in San Diego.
At THOUSIF Inc. – USA, we will keep following this story as more information comes out, and as the families of the victims share what they want the world to know about the people they lost.





